How to Make Your Eyes Look Bigger with Makeup
Here’s a fun fact: Did you know that your eyes are the second most noticed thing that a stranger pays attention to when they first meet you? (For you trivia lovers, the first thing a stranger would notice about you is your smile.) That means your eyes are super important when it comes to creating a good first impression! But don’t worry, I’ve got your back. Read on for my best tips on how to make your eyes look bigger with makeup.
HOW TO PREP YOUR SKIN BEFORE MAKEUP
First, if you want to know how to make your eyes look bigger with makeup, it starts with great skin, before you even pick up a makeup brush!
Getting great skin and bright eyes start with getting a good night’s sleep. If you weren’t able to get your eight hours in (or more… I’m not judging!), you can fake it. Puffy eyes can be de-puffed quickly with eye pads or a good ol’ bag of ice.
What about dark circles under your eyes? Grab some concealer and go to town on those pesky patches! Your best bet is to use a concealer shade that is a little bit lighter and warmer than your regular skin tone, which will brighten up your skin and color-correct as well. Apply the concealer on the skin under your eyes, blending with a sponge or your finger and over your eyelids for a uniform color.
And finally, if you want great skin and eyes without too much effort, wear sunscreen every day, protect your eyes by wearing your sunglasses when you’re outside, and stay hydrated by always, always, ALWAYS drinking lots of water!
WHAT BRUSHES TO USE FOR EYE MAKEUP
Now that your skin’s all ready, it’s time to learn how to make your eyes look bigger with makeup! You actually don’t need a ton of makeup tools to get the look you want. (I can hear your wallet cheering now. Yay for saving money!!)
If you’re building your makeup stash from scratch, consider getting these items:
1) Tweezers. One of the easiest ways to make your eyes look bigger is to get them shaped and waxed. You *could* try this yourself, but I think it’s best if you let a professional do it. After your esthetician shapes your eyebrows, it will be easy for you to maintain the look at home by tweezing the stray hairs around your eyebrows and on your brow bone when they grow back.
2) Eyelash curler. If you don’t want to put on any makeup, or don’t have time to do anything else with your eye makeup, curling your lashes is an easy and quick way to open up your eyes.
3) Basic eyeshadow brush aka eye base brush. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy, just a basic brush to apply eyeshadow. It should be wide enough to apply eyeshadow to your lids to give you the most amount of pigment (color).
4) Fluffy eye blender brush. This must-have brush will help you blend shadow into the crease of your lid for a diffused, soft look.
Optional, but helpful:
5) Crease brush. This smaller eyeshadow brush will help you make a more controlled and targeted application of eyeshadow. It can add depth to the crease of your lid or you can use it to apply shades to the outer corners of your eyes.
6) Q-Tips and a bottle of eye makeup remover. Just in case your eyeliner smudges (and not in the good way) or you accidentally get a little heavy-handed with the eyeshadow.
EYE MAKEUP TIPS AND TRICKS
While I love a good smokey eye as much as the next girl, the heavy makeup and dark colors can make your eyes seem smaller. If you’re trying to make your eyes look bigger with makeup, think light and airy instead of dark and heavy.
A light colored eyeshadow, like a shimmery champagne color, will help open up your eyes. Try a highlighter on your brow bone, the inner corners of your eyes or even on your temples to create a brightening effect.
Mascara is a great way to frame your eyes and make them look bigger. Don’t forget to curl your lashes first!
Go easy on the eyeliner — a thin line will help define your eyes without making them look heavy. Adding a little wing to your eyeliner will also do wonders.
Now that you know how to make your eyes look bigger with makeup, I hope you have fun trying out all these tips. I love you all so much! Stay awesome, stay sweet, and don’t forget to be nice to each other. Bye bye!